Some of the prominent objectives of AIILSG are:
- To advance the knowledge of the principles and practices of local governance among organisations, their officials and elected members.
- To strengthen and improve local government institutions through capacity building by organising training courses and programmes.
- To foster debate at local, national and international levels by organising seminars and conferences on issues of urban relevance with a view to dissemination of ideas, better understanding and policy advocacy.
- To undertake research work and projects to assist states and organisations and provide specific outputs sought by them.
- To undertake scientific knowledge management bypublishing journals, bulletins, bibliographies and other literature and reference material on different aspects of local governance.